What is a 5 Day Split Workout and Why is it Useful?
As a rule, a split is a workout routine that targets particular muscle groups on specific days. There is the 2 days split which target the upper and lower body on two separate days. The three day split workout target “push”, “pull”, and leg related movements on three separate days. The four day split routine typically involves a back, chest, shoulder, and leg day. And a 5-day split workout Routine typically follows this format; Chest, legs, arms, shoulders, back.
“On Monday I work on my arms and shoulders. On Tuesday my trainer gets me working on my abs, then on Wednesday we work on my legs, and we repeat this process again.”
Said a friend who has been following the gym circuit religiously for the better part of the past year.
Over the past year his body has certainly received some definition, but not what I would have expected from a guy working out daily for the past year. So, he is either doing something wrong, or he picked the wrong days to work out the wrong parts.
In this article I am talking about 5 Day Muscle & Strength Building Workout Split. Main Goal. Build Muscle. Split. Program Duration 10 weeks.
Let’s look at how you can avoid some of the mistakes people often make in their daily regime.
Five day splits are among one of the most common splits used among bodybuilders these days. It’s always a good idea to have a trained professional design a workout routine for you.
This trained professional can range from your gym teacher (with proper credentials in P.E.) or the trainer at your local gym.
Quite simply, you cannot spot muscle growth: The very best muscle growth plan includes both an extensive exercise routine — along with Strength Building Workout Split — and a healthy eating regimen. So read here – Why is Nutrition so important For Muscle Growth
These people are usually are in great shape with bulging biceps and rock hard 8 pack abs. I talked to some on how they would define a workout schedule and they came up with some great advice.
You should never do your lower body workout with your top body together. It never works out.
You should avoid working out different parts of the body simultaneously. Exercising out different parts of the body can do more harm than good. People new to the gym are highly enthusiastic about their training and can often over do stuff.
Which is great in the beginning, however our bodies are not built that way. Our muscles need to stretch and then cool down. Very soon it takes a toll on our body and you feel tired easily instead of feeling rejuvenated after exercising. And this can very soon sway you away from exercising.
Do not work same muscle groups two days in a row
We work our muscles to its extreme when we exercise, it need some downtime. Therefore, trainers recommends of having a break for a day or two between exercising one muscle group. Take for e.g. If you exercised your arms, chest and shoulders, it is advised to rest them for a day or two depending on how rigurous your exercise regimen is.
Now, that we have the two major warnings out of the way, let’s look at what regimen is more in-tune with your routine.
5 Day Workout Routine to Build Muscle
The following 5 day workout routine is based on a 5 day split. Using this routine, you will train one body part per day for a duration of 5 days. If bigger muscles are your primary goal, grinding through a 5-day workout split can be a powerful weapon in your mass-building arsenal.
There are two main advantages to using this type of routine.
First One – It will help to train the body part with all out effort and intensity. You don’t have to worry about training two or more body parts per session.
Secondly – Training one body part per week will allow maximum rest and recuperation periods.
All Muscle Can be categorized into four groups and accordingly three workouts – Push, Pull, Leg & Abs
Day 1 : PUSH Start with your upper body muscles.
This includes your shoulder, neck and chest exercises.
- 3 sets of push-ups in 30-20-10 reps.
- 2 sets of push-ups with feet elevated in 20 reps each.
- 3 sets of dumbbells bench-press with 20 reps each.
- 2 sets of scapular pull-ups with 20 sets each.
Also Read:- Ultimate Workouts For Big Chest
- 5 reps of isometric neck exercise 10 seconds each side.
- 5 sets of side neck stretch 10 seconds each side.
- 3 reps of dumbbell front raise in 20 reps each.
- 3 reps of seated barbell press in 20 reps each.
- 2 reps of one arm side lateral raise in 20 reps each side.
Day 2: PULL Work out the Abdomen
Next day we look at building a strong core and giving the upper body some rest. Now we will be building lats and abdomen (all parts). Since fat is very easily accumulated in the abdomen, exercising the abdomen is particularly taxing on the body.
- 3 sets of standing barbell curls 10-15 reps each.
- 3 sets of hammer curls 15-20 reps each.
- 2 sets of dumbbell curl 20-25 sets each.
Also Read:- Gym Exercise For Biceps
- 3 sets of pullups in 20-15-10 reps.
- 3 sets of chin-ups in 20-15-10 reps.
- 3 sets of weighted pull-ups in 15-10-10 reps.
- 2 sets of one arm dumbbell row in 20 reps each.
- 3 sets of seated cable row in 20-15-10 reps.
- 10 sets of holding the superman pose for 30 seconds each.
- 3 sets of hyperextensions on regular bench in 15 reps each.
Day 3: Exercising The Legs & Abs
Since other parts of the body are sore from exercising for the past 2 days, we now work on the legs, and start with the glutes. Then we go on to the abductor muscle and then to the calves.
- 3 sets of butt lift in 30 reps each.
- 2 sets of barbell glute bridge in 20 reps each.
- 2 sets of barbell hip thrust in 20 reps each.
- 2 sets of glute-ham raise/leg curl in 15 reps each.
- 20 knee tuck jumps.
- 3 sets of side leg raise in 30 reps each. Hold the leg in high for at-least 10 seconds.
- 30 lateral high hops each side.
- 3 sets of calf raise in 30 reps each. Hold your body in the raised position for at-least 10 seconds.
- 10-20 minutes of running or 30 minutes of continuous jogging.
- 30 minutes of brisk walking.
- 5 sets of plants 30 seconds each set.
- 2 sets of reverse crunches in 20 reps each.
- 2 sets of gorilla crunches in 15 reps each.
- 3 sets of air bike in 1 minute each set
- 3 sets of sit-ups in 30-25-20 reps.
Follow Again For Next Day
Follow day one exercises on day four, day two on day five and day three on day six. Reserve day seven for light full body exercises and working out the muscles that could have been better worked out with a little more effort. Don’t exert yourself on day seven. Consider this a cheat day in the sense that you can take it a little light.
This exercise routine covers most of your muscles and serves as a great starting point for somebody with okay physique. If you are a little on the obese end, some of these exercises will be tiring for you. But keep in mind the reward you will gain once the exercises are done. A little sore in the muscles, but great shape overall.
Here the more useful sources :
Some Factors to Consider;
- These exercises are meant to produce results over a period of time. There are no quick fixes in exercise. Follow the exercise regimen in addition to a proper diet for the best results.
- Don’t get discouraged if you don’t have muscle definition within a week. Exercises affect different people differently. Give it time and discuss your regimen with your trainer for best results.
- This exercise regimen has been designed to use minimum equipment. If you are looking to use proper gym equipment, there may be better alternatives for some of them.
- Take a break of minimum 2 minutes in-between sets.
- Once you complete all your sets for one exercise, don’t exercise the same muscle in the next exercise. Go for a different muscle. Once all your muscles for the day are covered once, come back to the first muscle. This allows all muscles to stretch and relax in tandem.
Build muscle and strength with this 5 day workout plan that combines two strength based weekly workouts with three hypertrophy size building weekly workouts. The most important part of exercising is to not get demoralized by results and keep at it.
You should have fun while exercising and keep a trainer nearby to warn you if you are doing something wrong in an exercise. Our bodies tend to reject effort and tend to find ways to cheat on the exercises.
The trainer can help you stay on the right exercises. So consult your trainer and come up with an exercise regimen that you both can work on to improve your physique.