Share This Article
- Daily Calorie Intake To Lose Or Gain Weight
- Know the number of calories Intake you need per day
- Calculation of daily caloric needs (maintenance)
- A concrete example
- Build your diet according to your goals
- How to keep my weight stable?
- How to lose weight?
- How to gain weight?
- How to know the number of calories consumed?
- A balanced and quality calorie intake!
- How many calories do you really need To Weight Management ?
- Calculate your basal metabolism
- Daily calories: BMR x activity factor
Daily Calorie Intake To Lose Or Gain Weight
An ideal daily intake of calories varies depending on age, metabolism and levels of physical activity, among other things. Generally, the recommended daily calorie intake is 2,000 calories a day for women and 2,500 for men.
In this blog post I am going to talk about How to Know your daily calorie requirement to lose, gain or stabilize your weight.
Knowing your daily calorie needs (maintenance) is essential when you want to lose weight or gain muscle.
This is the number of calories per day needed to keep your weight stable.
From this maintenance, you can establish the diet corresponding to your goal.
Know the number of calories Intake you need per day
To calculate your daily caloric requirement, two solutions are available to you:
- Perform a theoretical calculation using a mathematical formula and a physical activity coefficient.
- Use the empirical method by testing different caloric intakes for two weeks to find your maintenance.
The two solutions are compatible. To save time, we advise you to calculate your daily energy needs using the mathematical formula.
Then this number will need to be adjusted. To do this, it’s up to you to test it, in the kitchen, over a period of 2 weeks.
Be sure to increase or decrease the number of calories to keep your weight stable over 7 days.
If you do, you will have successfully found the number of calories per day needed to stabilize your weight.
Calculation of daily caloric needs (maintenance)
First, we will use the formula of Harris and Benedict (1919) to calculate the basic metabolism :
- Male = [13.7516 x Weight (kg)] + [500.33 x Height (m)] – (6.7550 x Age) + 66.473
- Woman = [9.5634 x Weight (kg)] + [184.96 x Height (m)] – (4.6756 x Age) + 655.0955
Then, depending on your activity level, multiply this figure by:
- 1,375 if you have an office job and a low sports expenditure -> sedentary
- 1.56 if you train 1 to 3 times per week -> light physical activity
- 1.64 if you train 4 to 6 times per week -> moderate physical activity
- 1.82 if you train more than 6 times a week -> intense physical activity
A concrete example
1.80 m, 75 kg, 30 years old, wants to know the number of calories he needs daily to stabilize his weight (maintenance).
Thanks to the formula stated above, he obtains a basic metabolism of 1795 kcal. This data corresponds to the number of calories necessary to operate its various vital functions. During a diet, you should never go below this threshold.
He trains 5 times a week and has a job requiring moderate physical activity. By multiplying 1795 by 1.64, he obtains 2943 kcal, which corresponds to his daily caloric requirement (maintenance).
Build your diet according to your goals
Now that you know your maintenance, you should know how to use it to achieve your goal: gaining, losing or maintaining your weight.
How to keep my weight stable?
Your maintenance corresponds to the number of calories you need daily. By consuming this number of calories, you will neither gain nor lose weight.
How to lose weight?
You must remove 10% of your maintenance by gradually reducing carbohydrates.
As a reminder, any weight loss must be gradual. If you reduce the number of calories too suddenly, your body crashes due to hormonal disturbances.
To use the previous example, if someone wants to lose weight, he will have to consume 2648 kcal (2943 – 10%). If the weight drops on the scale over the weeks, it can then proceed to a level of 10%.
Also Read: Weight Loss Diet Plan
How to gain weight?
You can add 10% to your maintenance then gradually increase over the results.
Meanwhile, I am writing Complete Guide How Skinny Guy’s Bulking Up Fast OR How to gain weight Quickly? Soonly it will be live on my blog.
How to know the number of calories consumed?
Firstly, you need to build your diet, you can refer to online tools for calorie calculation and for BMI calculation visit staysuperfit.com.
The 1st week, it will be necessary to weigh your food to get an idea of the proportions that you consume. after that, experience of your nutritionist or your personal sports coach will do the rest in order to build you a coherent food program in quantity and quality.
A balanced and quality calorie intake!
Knowing the number of calories to consume each day is essential to reach your goal. However, it is essential that this caloric intake is of quality and balanced.
- Quality: for the same energy intake, a poor diet based on industrial dishes will in no case have the same value as a natural diet, rich in nutrients.
- Balance: for the same number of calories, a high-carbohydrate diet will not have the same value as a high-protein diet. It is therefore necessary to pay attention to the distribution of macronutrients. For a sporty person, the rule is as follows, whatever your objective:
- Consume 1.5 g. of proteins per kilogram of body weight: meat, fish, eggs, and vegetable proteins.
- Consume 1 g. of lipids per kilo of body weight: olive oil, oilseeds, fatty fish, and more.
- The carbohydrates will complement your diet.They serve as a caloric adjustment. If you want to lose weight, you gradually reduce it. If you want to gain muscle mass, you will increase your intake.
In fact, to lose weight, gain mass, or keep your weight stable, focus especially on your carbohydrate intake and especially on the glycemic index of foods.
How many calories do you really need To Weight Management ?
1500 calories a day is enough? One person wrote to me recently that I only eat 1,200 calories a day, is that reasonable?
How do you get enough to eat when you have a bird’s appetite? Do others want to know if an hour of sports drastically increases calorie needs?
Calculate your basal metabolism
Here is the calculation method for BMR, there are different calculation methods, I give you the one that is the most reliable.
- Male: BMR = 66 + (13.7 x weight in kg) + (5 x height in cm) – (6.8 x age in years)
- Woman: BMR = 655 + (9.6x weight in kg) + (1.8 x height in cm) – (4.7 x age in years)
Example: BMR of a 40-year-old woman 1m 65 and 70 kg:
- 655 + (9.6 x 70) + (1.8 x 165) – (4.7 x 40)
- 655 + 672 + 297 -180 = 1444 calories per day to maintain basic metabolic needs (These are kcal.)
Daily calories: BMR x activity factor
To know how many calories to consume per day, we must add to this amount the calories needed for the energy we need to move, think, do sports and any activity of the day. To find out, we weigh the BMR by an activity factor.
- No exercises, get up, do the minimum to live your day, take the car to get around, BMR x 1.2
- Very few exercises walking 20 minutes, vacuuming, that’s it BMR x 1,375
- For a moderate exercise in addition to stretching, or a gentle sport, 1 to 2 hours per week BMR x 1.55
- If the exercise is sustained, do 4 to 5 h of sports per week BMR x 1.75
- If it is very sustained, do at least 7 h of sport per week BMR x 1.9
The 40-year-old lady does little exercise, so she will need 1444 x 1.375 = 1985.5 Kcal per day on average.
If she consumes between 1444 and 1986 calories, she will lose weight without slowing down her metabolism or maintaining her weight. If it exceeds 1986 Kcal, it risks gaining weight.
Here the interpretation is done according to the classification of the WHO (World Health Organization):
|Less than 16||Anorexia or undernutrition|
|Between 16.5 and 18.5||Leanness|
|Between 18.5 and 25||Normal build|
|Between 25 and 30||Overweight|
|Between 30 and 35||Moderate obesity (Class 1)|
|Between 35 and 40||High obesity (Class 2)|
|Greater than 40||Morbid or massive obesity|
You can eat more, never restrict yourself and stay in quantities of calories that work. Fruits, green vegetables, green leaves, root vegetables belong to this category.
When it is difficult to eat a lot, on the other hand, we can favor more caloric fruits, bananas, dates, dried fruits, and slightly increase the number of nuts and seeds, which are dense in calories, so as not to have to fill up too much. his stomach.
It’s all about balance. It’s your turn!
Calculating your daily caloric requirements is essential in order to determine the number of calories per day necessary to keep your weight stable (maintenance). From this data, you will be able to build a coherent diet, as close as possible to your needs.
Always reduce or gradually increase the number of calories.
Before you do any sudden change in your diet will disrupt your hormonal system and slow your weight loss. Fitness trainer Gurcharan Singh in our network is trained to provide comprehensive follow-up including nutritional advice. Do not hesitate to call on his skills to reach your goal more quickly and thus transform your figure.