Legs are an essential part of any type of physical activity. Keeping legs in shape is available to everyone. It is all a matter of performing proper leg exercises in the gym.
Stay focused on the different muscle groups that are part of the lower body by using the right leg workout programs for mass.
The borderline is fine between over training your legs and not focusing on them enough. And without much surprise, most of us fall into one or the other case.
You have the one who spends 45 minutes doing squats on the dumbbell rest before going on to his 90-minute intensive quadriceps work.
And you have the one who thinks that a single machine session in which he is sweating is enough for the legs.
Complete Legs Workout Exercise Program For Mass
And if we know something, performing an exercise with greater intensity in the correct range of repetitions can lead to better muscle growth 1,2.
As mentioned, not everyone is built to squat. If you are one of these people, it is not necessary to force a movement that represents a risk to your health.
But, if you can perform the squat back without problems, it is a good idea to include this variation in your workouts.
Many bodybuilders are guilty of obvious negligence of their Hamstring and prefer to train their quadriceps more often and with more intensity.
It may be the application of the saying “far from the eyes, far from the heart”, but a mediocre symmetry of the legs is only too visible in the eyes of others!
To completely develop this muscular whole, you have to work hard and regularly.
You will then be rewarded with a development that will complete the aesthetics of the legs giving them class, power and grace.
For this purpose, it may be wise to separate the work of the quadriceps and Hamstring Stretch in separate sessions, which will allow you to put more effort into each one.
Your tools are these leg exercises and the principles that have worked for so many other practitioners before you.
Ready to really reinvigorate your session and get best leg workout for building mass? Let’s go!
Program 1 – For Day 1 – Legs and Glutes Session
|Exercise||Series and Reps|
|Bodyweight squats||3 × 25 (warm-up)||This is a warm-up focus on the movement, do not go too fast and tighten the glutes at the top.|
|Hip Thrust||4 × 12||Do this movement with your upper shoulders on a weight bench or on your sofa. Tighten the glutes at the top.|
|Kickbacks||4 × 12 (per leg)||You can do this movement with a pulley or weights around your ankles.|
|Market slots||4 × 12 (per leg)||Control your descent well, do not lean forward, keep your shoulders back.|
|Indoor: Leg extensions||4 × 12||Do not put too light in weight, it is necessary to have trouble finishing your repetition 12! Make the whole movement in 6 seconds (slows down)|
|Squat with barbell||4 × 10||During this exercise, keep your back straight, point your feet slightly outward.|
Program 2 – Day 4 – Legs / Glutes / Abs
|Exercises||Series and Reps|
|Bodyweight hip thrust||3 × 30||Warm up to feel your glutes! Don’t forget to tighten the glutes at the top|
|Dead leg stretched out||4 × 12||Tighten the glutes at the top|
|Step up on bench||4 × 15 of each leg||Use a bench or chair|
|Jump Squats or Box Jump||4 × 15||Take 40 seconds of rest between each series.|
|Ball Crunch||4 × 20||Idle them|
|Board||4x1min||Go hold on !!!|
Continue reading to learn the best way to perform all these exercises to target leg muscles.
The Front Squat
The next variation of muscular squat that I want to cover is the front squat with a barbell.
While the rear squat is loaded later, the front squat is previously loaded.
And since the configuration is in a power rack, most lifters will be able to face a serious weight in this exercise.
- Simply by moving the weight towards the front of the body, those who struggle with leaning forward during the traditional back squat variation can maintain a more upright position.
- That does not mean that the front squat does not come with its own set of cons. For those of you who lack wrist mobility, you may notice slight pain in your wrist during the configuration of a front squat.
- If this is the case, you could adopt a bodybuilding approach and simply cross your arms to form an “X” in front of your body, but this can also have its own repercussions (that is, having to use less weight to maintain control) . Of weight).
- Another alternative would be to use straps to keep the weight in place during the movement, but once again, you may have to make some sacrifices on the amount of weight you use when performing this exercise.
In any case, for those of you struggling with the back squat, the front squat is a great option. Not to mention that, due to the change in load and the greater recruitment of the quadriceps,
It can be an excellent secondary movement for those who regularly perform back squats.
The Chalice Squat
It’s funny how many people consider the cup squat to be a beginner’s movement. Personally, this is my favorite squat variation.
For those struggling to get a good depth in the first two variations, they probably like the squat of the cup.
Since the weight is kept under your chin forming a “cup” with the position of your hand, the weight you are required to use will be significantly less than that of a front or rear squat.
Like a front squat, those who experience that lean forward during a back squat will benefit from having the weight in front of them.
And since the load is lighter, it will allow a more controlled and deeper descent during the squat.
Box Squat Exercise
Achieving depth during a squat is difficult. Even more so for those who leave an injury or older lifters who have persistent problems associated with age.
For these lifters, the box squat is an excellent complement to building legs in their training programs.
Place a bench, box or platform at the height of the chair on a rack to sit and get under the bar in the same way you would with a squat on the back.
For this demographic group, the box will provide a sense of security during the descent and allow them to train a key movement pattern.
The box squat can also be used to train the explosiveness by simply exploding out of the hole once your butt reaches the box.
As an additional bonus, the box can be used as a signal to eliminate some of the back tilt during the squat.
The squatting position is ideal for those who retrain the movement pattern of a squatting position or as a variation of secondary squat of muscular construction.
Sumo Squat Exercises
The sumo squat exercise puts more emphasis on the adductor grand, reduces the potential amplitude of the movement and generally limits the overhang, although it depends on the morphologies and flexibility of each.
It is licensed and widely used in athletic strength competitions because it usually helps to take heavier.
For bodybuilders, it is less interesting than traditional squat because it targets less the entire quadriceps and large adductors are unsightly.
Standing, the spread of the feet much greater than the width of the pelvis, the back straight or slightly arched, the bar placed on the trapezoids, it is a question of performing a flexion of the knees.
For light series, we inspire during the first quarter of the descent, we block the breathing during the rest of it and the first quarter of the climb; and expire during the rest of it.
For heavy series, we inspire at the top and block the breathing during the whole descent.
Bulgarian Split Squat Exercises
The divided Bulgarian squat is not a joke. If you are looking for a squatting variation that will leave you gassed, all while gasping for air during rest periods, then this is the one for you.
There are a couple of ways you can configure this, but what we are going to talk about today is the dumbbell version on the back.
Grasp two dumbbells (moderate to heavy weight), keep them to one side and lift the hind leg. Crouch in parallel and return to the starting position.
Do 8-12 repetitions of these and you will hate me and love me. You will hate me for the pain, but you will love me for the gains.
This movement will best serve you as a secondary movement, but it is worth adding these changes to your leg day.
And finally Deadlift.
Deadlift Exercise For Legs
Extremely complete movement, the deadlift is a very effective exercise to solicit the muscle groups of the posterior chain (hamstrings, glutes and lumbar), but also the quadriceps and the muscles of the upper back.
As the name suggests, it involves lifting a load of earth.
Here is a special quadriceps program that should baffle your routine with exercises that are not practiced, but very effective.
The advantage of this program is that you do not need a weight room to train.
Squat-pulling out with dumbbell/wide back jump
Spread your feet a little more than shoulder-width and hold a dumbbell with your right hand. Crouch down and let the dumbbell go down to the floor, between your knees, then go back up with a dynamic jump while raising the load at the shoulder height thanks to the force produced by the legs.
Receive a gentle welcome and return to the starting low position. Make eight repetitions, change hands and do eight repetitions.
Immediately start with a series of wide back jumps: jump back on both feet and get soft with your hips and knees slightly bent. Run 12 jumps.
Best Glute Exercises for a Stronger Butt
Posterior, buttocks, butt, ball, firecracker, whatever the name is given, many people are obsessed with their glutes.
Girls, in particular, are very concerned about the lower body line because genetically this part of your anatomy tends to accumulate more fat than men.
It’s often panic as summer approaches and when to buy a swimsuit. To give a little more roundness and tone to your pelvis, here are some tips and a training cycle of 3 weeks to build muscle glutes.
Best Calf Workouts and Exercise Moves to Build Muscle
Many bodybuilding practitioners consider that the squat targets the quadriceps first and foremost; however, some know that it also mobilizes hamstring and glutes.
On the other hand, very few people think of the role that the calves play in the realization of this exercise. The world squat champions are well aware of the importance of the calves to work heavy.
When we go back from the squatting position, the extension is not only at the hips and knees, but also the ankles.
The twins (muscle of the back of the leg that looks like a heart upside down) have an essential function here.
In addition, one must also think about the stabilization of the body which is ensured by the soleus during the whole exercise.
If you are used to neglecting your calves, quickly review your approach. It must win in strength and not only modeling for them to effect when you are in shorts.
Forget everything you’ve heard about the long leg calf series: it’s time to train them with heavy loads so that their strength can affect your squat performance.
Follow These Exercises to Build Calf Muscles
Lower Leg Exercises – Standing Calf Raises
There is no need to wait until the calf machine is released.
- Sit in the squat cage to make heel elevations that better replicate the movement of the squat.
- Set the pins so that the bar is at the level of your shoulders or slightly lower.
- Place two 10 kg discs next to each other (or a wooden wedge) about 45 cm in front of the bar.
- Load the bar enough to make a maximum of 5 to 6 repetitions.
- Engage the shoulders under the bar and place your feet so that the toes rest on the edge of the discs and the heels touch the floor.
Then, raise the heels as high as possible.
The bar will have to slide permanently against the uprights of the rack: it is necessary to push the body upward and towards the rear in the direction of the uprights.
Let the heels go down slowly to the ground and start again.
At the end of the last set, do the maximum of partial reps, until you are practically unable to take off the heels off the floor.
Sitting Calves Exercises
You have the choice between the machine to work the seated calves but if you do not have this device what will surely be the case if you train at home; you can do this movement with a simple bar and a bench.
If you have a squat cage it’s even better! Place a horizontal bench in the squat cage and put the two 10 kg discs about 30 cm in front of the bench.
Adjust the pins so that the bar rests on it, ie at the same height as the knees or slightly lower when you are sitting on the bench.
The bar on the thighs, about ten centimeters behind the kneecaps (for comfort, put a towel on your thighs), feet on the discs and heels lowered, raise the heels as high as possible. Go back down slowly and start again.
Do partial training at the end of your last rep.
Do not cheat: keep a full amplitude and do not use your momentum
Choose a load that allows you to perform a full range of motion: go all the way down to stretch the calf, and move up so you can maintain a contraction for a few seconds.
Pausing at the bottom of the movement to stretch the muscle and then tying it up for a few seconds at the top of your movement prevents you from using the bounce to make your reps easier: you have nothing without nothing!
Work in a sensation: try to feel the contraction caused by the movement. It is much more efficient to perform 15 repetitions properly and feeling the congestion and the “burn” caused than 50 cheating!
Muscle Hamstrings and Glutes
Raised ground legs outstretched 4 x 12
Slots walked 4 x 12
Hip Thrust 4 x 15
Leg curls 4 x 15
A program to personalize:
- The programs you will find on Stay Super Fit are immediately usable in the gym. Nevertheless, if the sensations are not there, it will be necessary to personalize it in order to strengthen the legs effectively.
- Session 2 starts with the raising leg as it targets the hamstrings and glutes. If you do not feel that you are working too hard, you can customize this program by choosing “pre-fatigue”.
- Exercise insulation “Leg Curl” So come in 1 st year for “tiring” the hamstrings and glutes. After performing your 4 sets of 15 rep, you will realize your raised legs outstretched legs. There is no doubt that the hamstrings and glutes will be more toned and improved.
4 Essential Lower Body Strength Training Exercises
Training: 5 to 10 minutes of warm-up + 30 minutes of exercise
Objective: Develop your muscle strength and sculpt your figure.
The instructions: Follow in the form of a circuit, the 4 muscle-building exercises that we offer below.
- Give yourself 30 seconds of recovery between each exercise.
- Repeat this same circuit 4 times and take 1 to 2 minutes of rest between each round.
- To obtain visible results, we advise you to repeat these exercises at least twice a week.
Exercise 1: Squats
Objective: the squat solicits almost all the leg muscles, in a single movement, you will engage your thighs, your glutes and your calves.
- Execution of the exercise: Standing, legs apart from the width of your pelvis, inhale and lower your buttocks backward until your thighs are parallel to the ground.
- The whole weight of the body is then on your heels which must above all not take off from the ground. Return to the initial position while contracting your glutes.
- Breathing: breathe in the starting position, and exhale during the extension.
- Safety instructions: keep the bust as straight as possible during the descent and ascent. Contract your abs by tucking in your stomach for the duration of the exercise. Look far ahead to keep your balance.
- Repetitions: 20 squats
- Variation: perform the movement on tiptoe.
Exercise 2: Slots
Objective: build your quadriceps, glutes & hamstrings.
- Performing the exercise: stand upright, one foot forward, arms alongside your body, bust straight. Inhale and then flex the legs to form a 90 ° angle with the two legs. Blow up.
- Breathing: breathe in when you flex, blow up.
- Safety instructions: remember to keep your chest straight and contract your abs by tucking in your stomach for the duration of the exercise. Look far ahead to keep your balance.
- Repetitions: 15 slits on each side.
Exercise 3: The Chair (Sheathing)
Objective: a static exercise that mainly solicits your quadriceps.
- Execution of the exercise: leaning against a wall, your legs are bent at 90 °, the arms alongside the body and the abdominals contracted. The back must always remain glued to the wall and the legs must not exceed the line formed by the feet on the ground. Hold the position for 30 seconds.
- Breathing: breath slowly and deeply.
- Safety instructions: keep the abdominals contracted to protect the lower back and put your knees on the ground if the exercise is too difficult.
- Repetitions: hold the position for 30 seconds, repeat the exercise 2 times.
Exercises 4: Skipping Rope
Objective: the jump rope is a complete exercise, excellent for your muscular endurance.
The repetition of the jumps, in flexion on tiptoe, requires significant stress on the calves, quadriceps, and glutes.
- Execution of the exercise: jump rope, keeping a high cadence. To increase the level, make double under (2 turns of rope) with each jump.
- Breathing: breath in during the call phase, breathe in during the jump.
- Safety instructions: stay on the soles of your feet, do not jump on your heels.
- Repetitions: a maximum of rope jumps for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Variation: if you don’t have a jump rope, go up on your knees.
Return To Calm
Take the time after your session to perform some stretches to promote your recovery and avoid aches. Also remember to stay hydrated, during and after your workout.
Note: To get a quick result, we recommend repeating this exercise program 1 to 2 times a week. Combine it with a cardio training session to let off steam.
Between each series, stretch the muscle solicited by small jerks, without pain.
This makes it possible to stretch the fascia (the membrane that surrounds the muscles) and to bring more blood into the muscle fibers.
After your sessions, or at the end of the day, do gentle and longer stretching, keeping the stretch for at least one minute on each muscle (hamstring, quadriceps and adductors).
Also, stretch your psoas and your glutes to release the lumbar area of muscular stiffness.
There you have it, all of the best squat variations you can add to your leg days to get massive leg gains.
Although I tried to include a variation for everyone, I’m sure I missed several excellent variations along the way which you can tell me in the comments section below.
Do not forget to visit again for more fitness tips.